Wednesday, December 10, 2008

eng 111 reflection

Everybody that I have talked to always said English 111 was easy and a breeze, they lied. Well they might have had it easy in their 111 class but this one was not as easy as they said. Paul is a cool ass teacher but doesn’t go for any BS. The papers all had to be 900 words or more which was new to me because my other 111 teacher only made us write 600 word papers. The things I really thought was cool were that he was actually teaching and you have to do all the work he gives you. He is an understanding guy that can and will relate what the work curriculum into everyday things to keep you interested . Many people dropped out of the class because it is very demanding class that you can’t fall behind in. You can miss some classes but it is critical that you catch up by either calling him or calling a friend because the schedule can and will be changed on a regular basis. For the first part of the semester I was like this class is the easiest in the world because all you had to do is read books, watch movies and have class discussions. At the beginning of the year, he gives you all of what you have to do and the due dates in the class syllabus. If you don’t keep up with it you will end up doing like I did and do it at the last minute and barley getting it done on time. I would have to say this class is not for a lazy person due to the amount of work that you have to put into this class at home. When I walked into this class I didn’t really know what to expect to learn because I learned the mechanics in Eng3 when I took it so I just had to go with the flow. What I did learn is the rhetorical appeals about writing, Pathos, Ethos, and Logos. Pathos appeals to emotions, Ethos appeals to audience’s view of the speaker and subject, and Logos appeals to a person’s reason. Another thing I learned was how to watch a movie and write notes about them with meaning and understanding. The rhetorical appeals really helped me with writing with meaning and emotion rather than just writing. Writing has always been somewhat easy to my it’s just the little things like what to write about, how to start a paper n so on but now that I know how to write with meaning I am able to write longer papers with little stumble because all you have to do is use the appeals he taught you. Overall the class was fun and intriguing, getting you out of the box and interacting in front of a group of your peers with no problem. So if you are looking for an easy class were you won’t work much, this isn’t for you. But if you want to learn take his class.

No comments: